October 6, 2017

Historic Fairmount Building to Be Demolished

Once the home to Standard State Bank and the Inter-City Press, which published the original Inter-City News, the building at the corner of 24 Highway and Huttig in Fairmount will soon be demolished. It became home to Standard State Bank in 1939, the bank’s fourth location since its incorporation in 1921. Before the bank moved into this building, it was located across the street where Huttig meets Cedar, in the small brick and stone building that still has bars on the doors and windows.

In 1972 Standard State Bank built a new location with drive-through services up the road at 10725 E U.S 24 Highway. By 1974 all banking business operations at the building above had ceased and the Inter-City Press, which had operated out of the basement, relocated to 501 W Lexington in Independence. 

   The old bank building, located at 10110 E U.S. 24 Highway, remained mostly vacant until the 1980s. The building was occupied by a company called "The Wallpaper People"” between 1983 and 1985. In 1986 this building became the home of the Roadrunner Video Club, where people could rent VHS videos of all kinds. Family-friendly movies filled the main part of the old bank building, while the "Adult Video" section was relegated to the old bank vault in the back. Despite the presence of a Blockbuster Video store up the road at the corner of 24 Highway and Sterling, Roadrunner Video continued to do business there until 1997. 

   Various other businesses and enterprises moved in and out of the building over the next two decades, but the building has become so dilapidated and unsafe that it must be demolished.

No comments: